our favorite thing to cook these days is our twist on butternut squash cashew mac n cheez by Oh She Glows. it has the creaminess and tastiness of your favorite childhood meal without the dairy! plus, you get awesome health benefits from the butternut squash (fiber and potassium), cashews (heart healthy fats and antioxidants), and avocado oil (heart healthy fats and enhanced absorption of nutrients).
what you’ll need (we prefer organic):
- nutty life simply cashew milk (cafe blend works too) -- side note: did you know you can order cases of our cashew milk online if you live locally in the Boston area!? not sure if we deliver to you? email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- butternut squash (Olivia's Organics pre-washed and pre-chopped is the best if you want less prep work)
- avocado oil (we like Primal Kitchen)
- pasta (we like the gluten free versions by Ancient Harvest)
- sea salt
- nutritional yeast (Cambridge Naturals definitely has it! so does Whole Foods)
- arrowroot powder
- garlic powder
- onion powder
- dijon mustard
- lemon juice
- kale chips for topping (we like Brad's Raw Foods)
- mushroom jerky for topping (Pan's Mushroom Jerky is the best!)
- avocado for topping
- pre-heat the oven to 425. toss your chopped butternut squash in avocado oil, sea salt, and pepper on a baking sheet. roast for 35-50 minutes (until soft when poked with a fork & lightly crispy on the outside).
- over the stove top on low to medium heat, whisk together: 1 tbsp avocado oil, 1 tbsp arrowroot powder, 3/4 cup cashew milk, 1 cup nutritional yeast, 2 tsp dijon mustard, 1/2 tsp garlic powder, 1/2 tsp onion powder, 1/2 tbsp lemon juice, 1/2 tsp sea salt, 1/2 tsp pepper. whisk occasionally until you are ready to transfer this sauce to the blender.
- when there are about 10 minutes left on your squash, start to cook your pasta according to the directions on the box.
- pour the stovetop sauce into your blender.
- when the butternut squash is finished, add it to your blender.
- blend until you have a beautifully creamy cheez sauce.
- transfer your pasta to a serving dish & drench it in your delicious vegan butternut squash cashew cheez sauce.
- serve it up and top with whatever your heart desires! we love kale chips, mushroom jerky and avocado on top.
stay happy and healthy :)