By Briana Menendez
Briana is a health food and fitness enthusiast who looks for simple ways to be healthy while navigating the demands of working at an ad agency. As part of her mission to make healthy easy, she will be guest blogging for Nutty Life! She's currently pursuing a graduate certificate in Nutrition from Tufts Friedman School and has a BA in creative writing and art from Colgate University. Although she's now Boston-based, Briana grew up in Aspen, CO, where her love for a healthy, active lifestyle all began. Her favorite Nutty Life mylk is Choco Cashew.
Sometimes it’s the simple things in life that satisfy us most—realizing you have more time to sleep, walking past an air-conditioned store front on a hot day, … and this vanilla, cashew, blueberry smoothie bowl. Now, I’m not a professional recipe creator or food photographer so the picture doesn’t exactly depict the most appetizing color for a smoothie, but don’t let that stop you, I promise it’s AH-MAZING! Blueberries are one of nature’s best antioxidants and flax seeds are a rich source of omega-3 fatty acids, both of which are excellent for glowing, healthy skin.
Worth noting: this recipe has frozen bananas. If you have never frozen bananas before, there are a couple words of wisdom that I will pass on to you after having learned the hard way:
- Freeze brown-spotted bananas because they are sweeter and softer than their yellow or green alternative.
- Always remove the skin before freezing bananas. The skin will never come off again if they’re frozen, no matter how many times you bang the banana against the counter or try to saw it with a knife.
- Cut the bananas into smaller pieces before freezing them because they will blend more quickly.
The portion below serves one but you can always increase the quantity, especially if you have an appetite!
- 1/2 cup Vanilla Cashew mylk
- 1/2 cup frozen blueberries (Wyman’s of Maine is my favorite brand)
- 1 frozen banana
- 1 tbsp finely ground flax seeds
- 1 tbsp almond butter or cashew butter
Blend together all ingredients in a food processor or blender until creamy and smooth. Enjoy plain or take creative liberty and add your own flare with toppings—we’d love to hear what you come up with!