a to-die-for tasty smoothie that will help ease your menstrual cramps
by caroline huffstetler
do you get terrible cramps during your period?
or even worse…diarrhea?
then, this smoothie is a MUST TRY to ease those menstrual blues.
it also might be the tastiest smoothie i’ve ever concocted…it’s creamy, naturally sweet, not overly sweet, and has the perfect balance of earthiness.
below is the recipe + the menstrual benefits of each ingredient. all you have to do is blend everything up in your blender & enjoy!
- 8oz nutty life vanilla bean cashew milk. cashews are high in zinc, which helps fight painful cramps. filtered water is one of the best things for your body, especially during your period. good old water helps reduce menstrual bloating. vanilla bean helps to ease cramps, thanks to its antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties. the dates have iron, which help to replenish the blood you are losing during your cycle. the date fiber also helps regulate (slow down) your overactive bowel movements.
- 1 banana (i prefer frozen). eating sugars from fruit helps to combat the sugar cravings you get when you’re on your period. bananas are also high in fiber & help to regulate your bowel movements. and the vitamin b6 and potassium in bananas help to reduce cramps.
- 1/4 cup of cherries. cherries are high in potassium and help with cramps. not to mention, they make the smoothie taste DARN GOOD.
- 1/4 cup of blueberries. their anti-inflammatory properties + antioxidants help ease cramps.
- 1-2 teaspoons of cinnamon. i am a fiend and actually put closer to 1 tablespoon in my smoothie. if you’re a cinnamon fan, then add even more! its anti-inflammatory properties + antioxidants help ease cramps.
- 1/2-1 cup of frozen spinach. i usually prefer to add more veggies to my smoothies, so i add closer to 1 cup. the calcium in spinach helps to reduce PMS symptoms; its magnesium reduces headaches, fatigue, and cramps; and its iron helps replenish your blood.
make sure to use our extra thick vanilla bean cashew milk…otherwise, you might be disappointed ;) definitely don’t swap our cashew milk for that 2% nut milk laden with carrageenan and gums (known to cause bowel cancer and bowel issues). let me know how you like it! <3